Thursday, January 3, 2013

Thrilled

Preparing for a trip to San Lucas, Guatemala, I'm always a little nervous. This time especially so in the wake of the death of our mentor and friend Fr Greg. What I'm always surprised by, is the fact that once I'm here, everything is so tranquil, and life moves nice and slow. And the moment we drive into San Lucas, my nerves melt away and I remember what it feels like to be here. This odd sense of "home" and "we're here, we're here" as if a long-awaited trip to Disneyland has finally been achieved.

I think it's because when you visit San Lucas, you leave a little piece of yourself here. You're never the same, and you never forget living here for a week. And that's what it is...you're not "staying," and it's not a vacation. You live here amongst the people. And your soul doesn't forget...

So when you come back...you re-encounter that piece of yourself you left. You re-remember why you desire so much to come back over and over.

And you're home.

Ronda- Tell Lily mom says "Lily you so crazy!" ...and give her a big silly hug (:

Lori Mathiowetz

No comments:

Post a Comment