Saturday, January 5, 2013

 
Friday a group of us spent the afternoon aerating coffee plants, a simple process that allows the coffee plant to take on needed water.



Guillermo and Frederico (in picture holding a cocao fruit) spent Saturday morning explaining to us about the reforestation project they are involved with.  This property was one of the first fincas purchased by Father Greg back in the early 70's. A finca means "farm" (or large plantation) and this one was a sugar cane plantation. A "finca" generally has a negative connotation since the property was owned by a wealthy landowner and working conditions were very oppressive; la violancia (lit. "the violence" but that is the term for the Civil War between 1954-1996) started largely because 98% of the land was "owned" by 2% of the people. When Padre Greg purchased the finca from the landowner, he then gave it to the people. At first it was called "Project Juan William" (Juan was a good person, not a finca landlord), but it eventually was called Fruto Pan. Now instead of sugar cane, the area is used by the people to grow a variety of plants, trees, fruits. A stream runs through the middle of the area that originates in Lago Atitlan (the lake that San Lucas Toliman is on). When Frederico showed us the cocao tree, he told us that its seeds are used to make chocolate; you suck off the white exterior fruit and then dry the seeds. You grind the seeds to make chocolate.
Vince Skemp


To try to describe the experience I have had here in San Lucas is difficult. The contrasts are everywhere:  welcoming, smiling faces of the Guatemalan people against the backdrop of poverty with such incredible needs  still unmet.  The huge milestones achieved by the Mission and all that Father Greg has accomplished and last night, the death of a young pregnant woman in childbirth. I have such a hard time accepting this.  There is so much I have learned about what has been done over the past 50 years here at the Mission, but, there is so much more to  accomplish.  I am amazed at the generosity of so many.  The Kansas City group that has been part of this effort for so many years, building and funding 37 buildings, one , a church which I visited a day ago.  These are not projects that can not be completed in a two week trip once a year.  These are projects that have long range goals yet to be accomplished by very generous people  (some of which are with us on our team) that see this as a long term commitment and have done so for generations.  I am humbled by their level of commitment and have such respect for what I have seen accomplished here.  The Mayan people have faced a long history of violence and oppression, they live in such poverty and yet they also have such gratitude for all that has been done.  They do not "expect" us to continue this without their own effort, they are a proud people who humbly accept what has been done  but take such pride in what they do every day.  Guillermo  and Frederico talked today about the work they do with the reforestation project.  It was easy to recognize their commitment, their pride, but also their need for validation in their efforts. In their own humble way, they were able to communicate their need for additional equipment to continue their efforts.  Every moment has been a learning experience none of which has ever resonated in quite the same way on any other mission trip I have participated in.  It is so easy to fall in love with every child I see, certainly in every child who  holds my hand and laughs at my broken Spanish.  Every face I look in to smiles, and appreciates my attempts at speaking their language.  I have to laugh, because I know it wasn't perfect, but was appreciated.  Each story I hear of the tragedies faced by these individuals, especially during their civil war, make any trial we face on a day to day basis seem trivial.  I have such respect for so many who have shared their stories.  I promise to share them with all of you when I return. The group I am with is each special in their own way, I have found so many people who are just like me...what a blessing! In the mean time, know that I am doing something I have long been meant to do, loving every moment and only wish you all could be here with me.  Love to my girls, Greg, and my grandchildren, all of whom keep me from spending even more time here.  I love you more.

Sally Rademacher

No comments:

Post a Comment